Background

Apr 17, 2013

The Bees have arrived!


We I have been wanting bees for a long time.  Hubby and I have discussed it many times, and I was waiting for him to take action.  Well, needless to say, that didn’t happen, so when a friend emailed me, looking for locations to host his hives, I jumped at the chance.  I thought this would be a good opportunity for us to be around them, get a feel for what needs to happen, and learn the process.  I will do several “update” posts throughout the year keeping you informed about the progress of our hive and the things that we learn along the way.  

Below are photos from the setup process, and don't miss the video at the end where Jed explains whats happening with the bees.

These are the bees that were taken from the parent hive to start this new hive.

Inserting the Foundation trays for the bees to start building on.

Left:  The new queen safely in her box until a few days from now when the bees chew through the marshmallow on the bottom.  This gives them a chance to get wind of the Pheromones she produces and accept her before she is released.


Setting the new queen in.  As you can see the Bees are all buzzing around her.  In the video below Jed explains what is happening and why they are acting this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment