Background

Feb 19, 2013

Coconut Oil


     You may have noticed that in the few recipes that I've put up so far I have Coconut as my oil of choice.  I use it for pretty much everything.  We fry our eggs, potatoes and other veggies in it, and I substitute it for butter, shortening, or oil in most recipes for cakes, cookies and breads.  We also rub it into our dry skin, cuts, abrasions, and more.  I do occasionally choose a 1/2 butter 1/2 coconut oil mix for some recipes just to get some of that butter flavor and consistency.
      Because of its many uses and the fact that it is not affected by heat, it is also my oil of choice for long term storage.  Coconut oil is basically a solid at any temperature from 75º F and below. Above that temperature it melts and becomes liquid.  It is much like shortening in consistency at the mid temperatures, and hardens the cooler it becomes.   I keep mine in a 1 qt crock near the stove so that in the winter, I can warm and melt the oil before using it in recipes.  To fry an egg, I simply spoon the hardened oil into the hot pan and it melts quickly.
     Coconut oil is a highly saturated fat.  But it is a healthy fat, similar to that of an Avocado.  The health benefits of coconut oil range from hair care, skin care, boosting the immune system, assisting proper digestion, increases metabolism and more.  Many of the benefits are attributed to the high Lauric acid content of the oil which properties include antimicrobial, antioxidants, anti-fungal and antibacterial.
     Coconut oil is also helpful when trying to lose weight. It contains short and medium-chain fatty acids that help in reducing excessive weight.  It is also easy to digest and helps increase healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems. Further, it increases the body metabolism by removing stress on the pancrease, and burning more calories.  --When I was on the HCG diet a few years ago, I read about a special "treat" that diet participants could use to boost weight loss.   You simply mix 1C. powdered cocoa, 1 C. Coconut Oil, melted, 8 packages Stevia or some Agave Nectar (P3 Only) and combine until well blended, then you can have 1-2 T. of it per day.  And it actually increased the weight loss because it was giving the body a tool for increasing metabolism as well as giving needed nutrients.
     Coconut oil has been said to help dissolve kidney stones, support the liver, kidneys and gallbladder, and even treat Pancreatitis.  Coconut Oil is a natural anti-inflammatory and can help heal and soothe a sunburn.  Coconut oil helps in controlling blood sugar, and improves the secretion of insulin. It also helps in effective utilization of blood glucose, thereby preventing and treating diabetes.
   I have very dry skin, and I have found that if I  rub Coconut oil into my dry scalp at night before bed, and then wear a cloth cap or wrap my head in a towel, it relieves the dryness and itching.  In the morning I wash it out and enjoy the soothing effects for hours.   I have even used fractionated coconut oil as a base for several essential oils in creating a natural Lice Killer for a child who came home from school with head lice.  We used it once, and it worked amazingly.   It didn't spread to anyone else in the house, and we didn't have ongoing battles with it as many people do.   And I avoided using the harsh, dangerous chemicals available in the drugstore for battling head lice.

     Coconut Oil is also preferred by athletes and body builders and by those who are dieting. The reason behind this being that coconut oil contains lesser calories than other oils, its fat content is easily converted into energy and it does not lead to accumulation of fat in the heart and arteries. Coconut oil helps in boosting energy and endurance, and enhances the performance of athletes.

   I'm sure the list goes on and on, but those are some of the most common uses.   I order it by the 5 Gallon pail from a very natural, organic, non GMO source --Tropical Traditions.  I order the flavorless coconut oil that has been steam distilled (Expeller pressed) because I believe it has all of the same benefits without affecting the flavor of my foods.  Also it is much less expensive even though it is produced in the same place and essentially the same way as their other products so I am confident I am getting a healthy clean oil.





Tropical Traditions Weekly Sales

And while I'm on the coconut bandwagon, I love to use Coconut flour in all my recipes as well.   I usually ad about 1/2 c. to most average size recipes as it increases the protein content by leaps and bounds.  It also ads a sweet subtle addition to the flavor of cookies and sweet breads.



If you order by clicking on any of my links, and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.

Now just to cover my @$&  I need to say that these statements have not be evaulated by the FDA and that this information is not intended to be used as medical advice as the author is not a physician.  Elderberry has not been proven to treat, diagnose, prevent, or cure any diseases or the above mentioned ailments.  Blah blah blah, yadda yadda... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment