Background

Feb 11, 2013

Light, fluffy, Whole Wheat Quick Bread



10 1/2 c. Whole Wheat flour
1 T. Dough Enhancer
1/2 c. raw sugar or honey
1 Cup Applesauce
1 T. salt
3 T. SAF Instant Yeast
1/3 Cup + 1T. Coconut Oil
3.5 Cups hot water




I always use fresh ground flour.  I have a Nutrimill wheat grinder which is a dream.  So before starting the recipe I grind my flour fresh.











I used a Bosch Mixer which makes this recipe pretty much a no-knead recipe, because the machine does all the work for you.
(See video clips at the bottom of this post.)





Add 8 Cups of the flour and the rest of the dry ingredients, including sugar (but not honey) to the mixer first, and pulse to blend.
Pour the water in a large liquid measuring cup, and then add oil to the water.  pour in over dry ingredients and ad honey (If your using it) and Applesauce.

Replace splash ring on bosch and turn on to speed one until ingredients are basically blended.  You want to keep adding flour slowly until the dough starts to clean the sides of the bowl, as well as pull away in the center.  You may or may not use all of the flour.  This is where the trick comes in.  You need to have an "eye" for what the right amount of flour is.  I have included a couple of videos to help you with this part.  The dough will still look fairly sticky.

Once the dough starts to pull away, then you start your timer for kneading.  Approx 6-7 minutes on speed 2.  Do the check for Gluten development (see video tutorial)

Wipe down counter and pans with coconut oil.   Dump dough out onto greased counter and shape loaves, place in pans and cover with a dish towel.





Let rise 30-45 minutes until bread has risen above the edges of the pan. Warning:  Do not over rise, or bread may fall.   If it does fall, remove the dough, knead breifly, reshape and let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.    Makes 3-4 loaves depending on the size of the pan.



Now I was thinking too that I'd like to have a bit higher loaf.  This bread was light and fluffy, and did rise sufficiently, but if I divide the dough into thirds instead of fourths I would have a bit larger loaf that would be better for Sandwiches.  So I will do that next time and ad the photos.

Also I am including some clips of different stages of the dough so you can tell what its supposed to look like.  The first clip is where the dough starts pulling away from the sides.  Second I show you how to check for a "dough window" to be sure the gluten is developed enough.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment